Friday 17 June 2016

I AM NIGERIA, and here is another picture of me

Every name has a meaning, perhaps, a significance. However, some actually carry more weight than others.  So, what comes to mind when you hear names like Nelson Mandela, Barack Obama, Michael Jackson, Mohammed Ali, Mikel Obi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, (am I becoming a football fan?) or Adebisi Adeyemi? ðŸ˜Š And places like Dubai, London, Paris, New York or even Seychelles?

Nigeria (informationng.com)
Asides what you think of these names, have you imagined what other people from different parts of the world think of them too? Most times, interestingly, you have similar views as many others because, there seem to be a general or popular knowledge. The beautiful pictures of these people and places are often painted, over and over, that sometimes, you might even choose to ignore their ugly sides.

Okay then, tell me what comes to mind when you hear the name Nigeria? If you ask me, at the mention of the name 'Nigeria', I see: ‘Giant of Africa, a beautiful country, a land of brain and beauty, a land of plenty, flowing with milk and honey, and, the list is endless’. I am right, in fact, very correct. But, I am also interested in knowing what the world thinks of this great country, Nigeria. Do they share the same thoughts and knowledge? Please, don’t be quick to answer.

Whenever I proudly introduce myself to friends from other countries, I look out for the expressions on their faces immediately I say ‘I am Nigerian’. While some of them try to hide their surprises, others actually confront me with words like: ‘How are you guys handling 'Boko Haram' in your country? Or ‘I heard there was an attack last night in the northern part of Nigeria’. More surprisingly, some of my Nigerian friends have been asked questions like ‘Are your parents politicians?’ (Of course, you know that is just a nice way to say; ‘Are you being funded by stolen money?’). How can you blame them? That is about the only news the world hears of us. Corruption and Insecurity. And no matter how good we see ourselves, the other side of the story is known only to us or a negligible number of others. Oh! I mustn't forget to add that some friends absolutely love Nigerian music too (yeah, that's a credit)!

I am currently doing a write up about Nigeria, and I would like to include a few facts, especially on ‘What the world does not know about Nigeria’. While we are not trying to 'sweep our dirt under the carpet', we must acknowledge that the other side of our picture looks really beautiful. I know there is more to us than the abundance of natural wealth, beauty and brain. Please tell me, I need ideas. Maybe I should start by saying: 'We have the most colorful and beautiful traditional weddings!' and ehmm... 'We love cars!!' (that's definitely debatable but, I have my facts).

Your ideas and comments will be very much appreciated and I just cannot wait to discover much more about my country than even I know. It is time to make the world see beyond the propaganda of the media. There is indeed more to us than the world knows. Please, let's share them here.
(I trust we would share valid points, but, kindly ensure they are proven facts too.) Thank you.

God Bless Nigeria! 
The Nigerian Coat of Arms -
A symbol of our National Identity
(Every feature gives a beautiful description of Nigeria)

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Idanre is in Ondo state. The community is surrounded by beautiful hills.

Unknown said...

Idanre is in Ondo state. The community is surrounded by beautiful hills.

Anonymous said...

When I think of Nigeria,hmmm,all I see is the people and despite the unsavoury comments and religious or cultural discord. Nigeria has some of the most warm hearted people (I call them neighbours) from the guy who stops to help you get out of a parking spot without been solicited or asking for anything in return, to a 'bus passenger' who offers to pay for an elderly lady who doesn't have enough. And my personal experience is a guy who went into his house to get clean clothes for a passerby who fell off a bike and into a ditch. When I think Nigeria,i think of Beautiful Hearts.

thetemitope said...

Lagos traffic..."blessed are the patient"

Godswill said...

Every great nation has got a great story about their horrible past so is Nigeria. Although sometime it seems confusing to see the great wealth in and around us but nothing to show for it. But one thing is certain, every man that seeks freedom has got to win the war and No battle without a causality. The fact that you have casualties is not a sign that you are loosing the battle. Nigeria is at war aiming to be free from the shackles that binds it from attaining its mental freedom and liberty, from shackles that took our conscience in captive and from the greatest enemy that lies among us. But the good news is that, I see a great future, I see a bright light at the end of our tunnel, and when you get to the darkest part of the night, it tells you that morning is near. I am proud to be called a Nigerian despite our shortfalls and I believe that Nigeria one day and very soon shall be celebrated again.

Anonymous said...

Nigeria is a country rich in culture. We value our cultural heritage. This is evident in the way we greet our elders, our food and our not just beautiful but exotic traditional weddings.

Nigerians are highly educated set of people. We love to learn. We are people of excellence, making a difference all over the world.

There is also another thing I value about Nigerians. Nigerians do not only live for themselves. One way or the other, family members are dependent on each other thereby helping themselves to grow; unlike the system in Europe where people live by and for themselves.

On a final note, Nigerians are hardworking and resilient. No matter how bad the economic situation, Nigerians will always find way.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Diversity is one strength we should learn to tell the world about Nigeria too. Its why I find it a bit complicated to answer questions such as "Can you make me a Nigerian dish or what language does Nigerians speak asides English?" How can I make you a dish although from Nigeria, but not actually taken or known by millions of Nigerians. Would I be very correct to tag the dish as a "full Nigerian dish"? I start by explaining that there are over 500 languages in Nigeria and we have over 300 dialects according to various statistics. Nevertheless, it is imperative to note that dialects within same language shouldn't rigidly be tagged as a new language. I speak fluently one(Yoruba) out of the 3 major languages (Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo) and speak a little of Hausa too which is getting rusty already. Within the Yoruba sect, I understand many other dialects that not all Yoruba speakers understand because I grew up around many people from different parts of the South-West region where the language is mostly spoken.Same goes with food, our meals are as diversified as our tribes. I am not from the eastern part but I enjoy their soups. Sincere South-westerners or 'Lagosians' can attest to this. :) This blend of diversity is not found in all parts of the world in the proportion its found in a single Nation like ours. Only few countries can boast of these rich mix of cultures. This diversity is something worth celebrating and has the potential to be a major source of tourist attraction if we 'package it' properly.

Unknown said...

Well said.

Adebisi Adeyemi said...

Thanks Jumoke Rufus!We sure have so many 'Good Samaritans'
...and please don't ask how I got to know who the anonymous is... another Jumoke Rufus is a counterfeit 😊.

Adebisi Adeyemi said...

Thanks Jumoke Rufus!We sure have so many 'Good Samaritans'
...and please don't ask how I got to know who the anonymous is... another Jumoke Rufus is a counterfeit 😊.

Adebisi Adeyemi said...

Thanks for your comment God'swill. By the way, I quoted you in my thesis. Not to worry, I did justice to the reference 😊

Adebisi Adeyemi said...

Very right Tunrayo. Thanks for your comment!

Adebisi Adeyemi said...

Thanks Biodun, By the way, I quoted you in my thesis too. I'm sure you don't mind. 😊

Adebisi Adeyemi said...

Thanks Emmanuel!

Adebisi Adeyemi said...

Lol!! yeah right.. we'll get there someday!