Friday 31 December 2021

Big Little

The year 2021 was indeed an extension of the year 2020, each day with its own peculiarities. Leaving us clinging onto hope, faith and the promise of a future! Thankfully, an inspiration came, to write, even when I least expected. 

She definitely has a point! Who ever invented calling a younger one "Little" definitely did not do "Us" any justice. Shouldn't it be time bound? The moment you reach a certain age, you should no longer be called: little or kid brother/sister!

My niece insisted her younger brother should not be called "Little brother". As far as she was concerned, anyone above the age of 2 is no longer little. Even though she does not mind him being called her "Big brother", I doubt she would have that same view in a few years to come 😆. Why did I not revolt a long time ago? I said to myself after watching her brilliant argument. I have been referred to as "Kid sister" for decades now and for as long as I can remember. It felt like the norm until my niece's argument! 

As the years go by, big sisters and big brothers remain "Big". Well, by reason of their birth position. But for the same reason, little sisters or brothers remain "Little", in that context. Meaning, no matter how old my grandmother is, she would always be seen as a little sister in the eyes of her older siblings. Worse still, she could be referred to as "Kid" sister. 

                                    

Perhaps, they would never see us as big. Afterall, they knew when we were little or even saw us as babies. That must have stuck. And I must say, the position comes with a sense of protection. Reminds me of a friend's mother, whose "Big" brother had to watch her cross a road before turning back to go on his way. He wanted to be sure she was safe, even though she was already a grandmother! 

Well, we appreciate the care! It feels really good most times; until we hear ourselves being called "Kid" sister or brother.  Could we suggest  the adjective - "Younger" instead? That should give all parties some satisfaction.

I might be "Shaking the table" with this article, but truth is, I have been under that table for as long as I can remember, and it looks like it will remain like that, no matter how vigorously I shake the table. Maybe this is only a message of hope. A hope for a change! One person at a time!

Thankful to be ending the year 2021 with an article. Happy New Year 2022!



No comments: